Friday 2 March 2012

Departure Lounge (29th Feb)


When it comes to Australia and trying to imagine what it would be like to live there, I come up with a blank.  Sydney is over 10,000miles away from where I am from and I just can’t imagine what everyday life out there for me would be like.  Since I announced to people that I was going to live in Australia for a year I have been given many guide books, all of whom claim to be “insider” guides that know everything there is to know about Australia.  However after reading the majority of these books I still have no idea what to expect.  I have picked up some important information like the locations of places of interest, but I still don’t know what Australia, or Sydney to be more precise, is actually like.
An example I can give you is that I once read that Tunisia is a nice place to go on holiday, but I have been to Tunisia and it is not a nice place to go.  Whenever you go out anywhere you need to take a stick or something with you to beat back the locals and to stop them from trying to grab you.  They are very touchy feely and as soon as they learn you are a tourist they swap you.
Or maybe they are all just really friendly and nice and I’m a horrible person with deep seated issues with personal space, who knows.
Another issue with trying to imagine what a place will be like based on what other people have said it that people see the world through different eyes.  Two people may witness the same event and have completely different opinions and emotions about it.
But really none of this matters, because I will be in Sydney in a few days and I will be able to find out what life is like there myself.  Until then I am keeping an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment