Saturday, 3 March 2012

Touching Australian Soil

Getting through Sydney airport took a while, I have lost count of the number of times I have had ID checks and have had my bags scanned.  I am surprised they are not glowing radioactive green by the number of times they have been put though those machines.
From the airport I took the train to Kings Cross which was near where I was staying.  I had already planned the journey in the UK.
The train stations in the airport was quiet (because it was 10:00pm) and very clean and tidy.
When the train arrived I was surprised to see that trains in Sydney are double decker, I think double decker trains are a great idea, although they don’t really cater for people with disabilities.  The outside of the trains are made from corrugated silver coloured metal and they look more like American diners on wheels than trains.
Arriving in Kings Cross didn’t take long and I was surprised when I go there.  It looks just like Ayia Napa, full of drunken people and neon signs for shady strip clubs.  The only cars on the road were either taxis or police cars.  I have heard so many good times about Sydney, about how classy and modern it was.  But at the moment it just looks like any 18-30 club holiday destination.
I found the hostel with not much difficulty (again I planned this journey from the UK) and that to was crammed full of drunk people.  I managed to check in ok but the reception guy came running up the stairs after me, I had done my usual old trick of leaving important documents on the desk again.
I think if you ever want to find me just follow the trail of important documents and valuable items I leave lying around.  In my defence the flight and getting through Sydney airport had made me very tired.
After spending a few hours in my room unpacking and writing I decided that already want to go home.  All I can hear around me is people talking and chatting.  It feels like everyone here knows everyone else apart from me.  I think I am the only person here on their own in their own room and it is lonely as hell.  I am writing this listening to music because I am trying to drown out the sound of the people in the next room shagging.  I know that the first days, weeks or even months of this will be hard and so far I am right.  I am currently not having fun here.
 I know that I have just got here and I will make some friends in the next few days, so I just need to get on with this... things will get better.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mikel, sorry to hear things aren't going as well as they should be but you know every journey has its ups and downs - I remember when I was on my way to Texas I was a bit frightened being stuck in New York airport on my own because the journey had been delayed due to the Icelandic ashcloud but I guess it's not really the same because eventually I'd be staying with family and I was only there for 2.5 weeks. But I'm sure you'll get there (albeit with a little help, the best thing is to keep asking questions, sometimes not everyone is who they seem so you have to bear that in mind but most of the time I'm sure the locals of Sydney will be happy to help) - I'm sure by now your skin will be of a blackish hue, and you'll eventually change your name to some Aborigine e.g. 'Jambana' :D but until then I'll remember you how you used to look ;) I've just joined blogger which I why I was able to post this comment and I've looked at your posts, I love the description of tunisia and the little UFO that followed you on your plane journey (youtube video) - I'm gonna join Skype now so we can keep in touch. I suggest you find out a local tourist information site and grab all they'll give you to find out more (e.g. where to buy a car for cheap and procedures of insurance/good places to drink and sight-see/who to talk to about getting an engineering job/a temporary job while you look for an engineering job, and maybe try and find somebody who isn't drunk in your hostel to talk to ;)