Friday 2 March 2012

A formal introduction


What is this blog about?
Basically, this blog is about my experience whilst I spent 1 year living in Sydney.  This isn’t just a long holiday, I am here to get a job, get a place to live, get a car and basically become a fully integrated member of society.   I am also writing up a list of things I have to do whilst I am here.  This list includes all the standard touristy things like learning to surf, visiting Uluru (Ayers rock) and eating kangaroo meat, but also other more ambitious things to do like meeting the Australian prime mister and to appearing on Australian television.  I want to make the most of my time here down under and to see what I can achieve in just a year.

So, who am I?
Well, my name is Mike, I am 24 and my professional background is in Civil Engineering.  I also have ambitions to write stories and comedy material and maybe one day do stand up comedy, maybe.  I also enjoy photography and travel which go hand in hand.

And why am I moving?
The initial reason for me moving to Australia was to seek work.  Since my last Engineering job ended my former work colleagues and some of my university lecturers highly recommended Australia to me.  They told me that Engineering is very popular out there at the moment.  Or maybe they all just don’t like me very much and want me as far away as possible.  But ever since they recommended Australia and I started talking to people about the idea of going off to Australia I always got positive feedback, it seemed everyone I spoke to about Australia has either been there themselves and loved it or knows someone who has been there and loved it.  So in the end, I am going out there to find an Engineering job and to find out what all the fuss is about.

What does this blog mean to me?
I want to try and record as much of my Australian experience here, I want people to be able to read this blog and feel the experience of what I will go through.  And most of all I want this blog to be entertaining throughout.
If I get a bit of a fan base going that would be great.  You guys could give me some ideas of thing I should add to my “to do list”.
I also see this blog as motivation, if I just went out there and sat around all day drinking I wouldn’t have anything worth writing about.  But by committing to this blog I will be motivated to get off my arse and to go out and do stuff worth writing about.
If you want to contact me, my email address is takingthemike@hotmail.co.uk


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment